Thursday, April 29, 2010

nystagmus

"She belonged to him, but he belonged to the whole world..."

On the drive home from the hospital last Monday, my gas light came on so I stopped at the nearest gas station off of La Cienega. Money has been tight lately and I was worried that I didn't have enough in my account to pay for gas. While I proceeded to swipe my card, a man approached me with windex and a dirty rag in his hands asking me if he could clean my windows for some spare change. I said "No thank you" and continued pumping my gas. He walked away and I watched him go back to his little spot under the tree while he waited for other potential customers to appear. Suddenly, I remembered I had an emergency dollar or two somewhere in my glove compartment and decided to look for it. Sure enough there was a dollar and a few coins. I thought about keeping it there just in case I might need it but I looked at the man under the tree and walked over and handed it to him. It wasn't much, but his face lit up with a smile as he said, "Thank you, Queen... God Bless you" and I smiled back and told him to have a nice day. The way his face lit up made my entire day. Something inside me clicked and made me realize that he needed it more. In retrospect it might have seemed like I lost but really, I gained so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment